Thursday, April 24, 2008

Back at it

I knew I wasn't in New York anymore when in one day the following three things happened:

- At a fast food restaurant, two employees came up at different times and offered to refill drinks. They were so enthused I felt like I was doing them a favor by letting them clear my tray. Great way to start a day.

- At a bank, when we walked through the door an employee literally leaps up from behind his desk to see how he can help us. We needed certified checks since I left the checkbook at home and who knew you had to write a check for a house? :) Instead of waving us on to the teller line, he took care of the whole thing while we sat at his desk, and waived the $8 per check fee. Bliss.

- At Ann Taylor Loft, I remembered I had received a Friends & Family 25% off coupon in my email, but hadn't printed or brought it. I mentioned it to the manager and she said she'd give me the discount anyway. Swwweet. These things may seem usual to most people, but good customer service is not something I've seen a lot of the past four years in the city.

I love Dallas!! We really had a marathon week full of driving around and viewing over 70 houses, which according to our agent is the most she's ever shown anyone. After some hard bargaining, we ended up with the best of the lot and are very excited to move in next month.


But now we're back!! After a week in Dallas I thought I would be glad to see my good ol' friend New York City, but after sitting in a traffic jam at midnight last night with the taxi meter ticking away... I went back to my original plan of being really excited to move.

Charlotte seems to have grown a foot since I saw her last and had been doused in suntan lotion by her grandmother who was afraid of returning a tomato-child to me.


back to her usual haunts

13 comments:

Lucy said...

Congrats on the house! We had no idea you need a certified check to buy a house either. I thought I could just write a check from our checkbook and that would be ok, but apparently not. The things you learn.

Andrea said...

Hooray! That's wonderful news!

Miggy said...

Congrats! That looks heavely...good luck!

andrea gale said...

What a cute house! Love it. Wait, next month? I'm not sure I understood that.....

Kendra Leigh said...

I adore that house! You lucky lucky people!

Julia said...

Congratulations! I can't believe you guys are home owners! (seems so grown up!)

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

Wow, that house looks amazing! I love ranch houses - that's totally what we'll be looking for when we start house hunting. Yea for you guys and a fun new city!

JoEllen said...

Yeah, it was so startling to have people so friendly and NICE after nearly 7 yrs in the northeast (no offense, anyone) that I responded to a few people: "Do I know you?" -which, ironically, is how the strangers I'd had the gall to approach back in NYC had responded to me. We decided not to go to Houston... wanted to give your folks a break.

tawni said...

Nate should have gone to dental school! What the heck! Everyone here from UCLA dental are also buying homes these next couple of months. Then here we are, the poor business grads who are struggling to find financial jobs due to the current status of the economy. BOO! So, we are trying hard to be happy for you :( No seriously, we are thrilled for you guys! A backyard! Wooohoo! Something you can't ever find in NYC! I love, love, love Texas. We have a lot of family there so we will have to come by and say hi! Again, congrats!

Smith Family said...

Congrats on the house! What will you do with ALL that room?!?!

Kasey Q said...

Congratulations on the house. It looks beautiful!

Tamara said...

I am loving your home and I have to admit a little jealous. We will be students for the next two years and then hopefully move into a home.

Kent said...

I was telling Melanie on our trip how great it was to get a refill without asking at Outback Steakhouse. Mel has been an East-coaster her whole life and doesn't think customer service is that bad, but your post serves as a beacon to remind us that it IS that bad, probably worse in NYC than in Boston. Although not like Europe, thank goodness.

Congrats on your new house, it looks awesome! Kinda looks like an LDS chapel from the outside, minus the steeple of course.